GNOME 0.25 released

The GNOME coding team is proud to announce:

	GNOME 0.25 -- Drooling Macaque release (also known as `Omaha').
			http://www.gnome.org/

* What is new:

   Most important: starting with this release (Drooling Macaque) the
various pieces of GNOME are now being maintained/released by different
people, this means we will be able to provide releases of the
individual GNOME packages more often that we have so far.  Here are
some of the new features in this release:

	- The new ORBit CORBA 2.2 implementation by the GNOME team is
	  now used instead of MICO (Dick Porter, Elliot Lee, Andrew
	  Veliath and Philip Dawes are the wizards behind this).

	- The panel includes various new panel operation modes and
	  various new applets have been written.  System/user menus.

	- Menu editor is now included in the code.

	- Powerful display engine is now included in the GNOME
	  libraries (It is similar in spirit to the Tk canvas):

		- High level object-based engine (you can manipulate
		  objects at a high level, never worry about exposes).

		- Hierachical organization of graphical objects.

		- Flicker free (ideal for writing games).

		- Extensible: new objects can be written (indeed, the
		  GNOME spreadsheet is implemented as a set of canvas
		  items).

		- As a regular GNOME library, it is already supported
		  in the Perl and Scheme bindings.

	- Gtk Cauldron: printf/scanf-like routine for quickly
	  building input dialog boxes :-).

	- Various new games: Gyahtzee, Gnobots, Gnothello.

	- Lots of bug fixes.

	- New improved versions of all of the existing GNOME
	  applications.

	- First version of the GNOME Postscript viewer is available;
	  gsearchtool program is available; gdiskfree and more.

	- Various new languages supported, existing translations
	  enhanced.

	- Gnome Dialog and Gnome Splash programs:  a GUI version of
	  Dialog; and a generic splahs program for your scripts.

* Where are we aiming at now:

	* DnD: We will soon switch to the Xdnd protocol and we will as
	  well support the Motif DND (Owen Taylor is working on
	  this).

	* The fact that ORBit is so thin and fast is finally enabling
	  us to use CORBA all over the desktop as we had planned.

	* Expect a first preview of the GNOME component model to be
	  available in about a month.

	* File manager will undergo a massive user interface rewrite
	  in the next month as well.

	* Balsa (the GNOME mailer) should be released in a few hours;
	  Gnumeric (the GNOME spreadsheet) should be released in a few
	  days.

* What do you need to compile:

	Gtk+ 1.1.2 (which in turn requires Glib 1.1.2)
	Latest Imlib (available in the same ftp server as GNOME).
	ORBit 0.2 (available as well on the GNOME ftp site).

* Where to get it:

	Tar files are available at:

	ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/v0.25

	We expect to have glibc RPMs sometime soon.  Other people are
	welcomed to send us binaries/packages in other formats
        (contact webmaster@gnome.org for that).

	The GNOME source code is also avaiable trough Anonymous CVS,
	check the GNOME web page for information on retrieving this
	release (CVS tag name: DROOLING_MACAQUE).

* More information:

	Web site: http://www.gnome.org