gnome-libs compile probs

Sorry if this is in the list archives--they aren't searchable and
Soren's (excellent) page doesn't mention this.

What sort of thing would cause the following, given that gnome cvs has
compiled pretty well for me for the past couple of months or so, and
suddenly asks for a directory that's not anywhere on my system? :)

make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/fletcher/gnome/gnome-libs'
Making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory `/fletcher/gnome/gnome-libs/po'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../libvfs/extfs.c', needed by `gnome-libs.pot'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/fletcher/gnome/gnome-libs/po'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/fletcher/gnome/gnome-libs'

I did find the requested file in the mc sources, so I could probably
hack together a passable libvfs dir w/symlinks, but is there a better
solution?

Thanks,

Torben