Wheeled Mouse

ARRRRRGH I hate wheeled mice. They are a fine
example of calling limited functionaly a "Feature"

Why not instead of playing catchup with KDE (who is
playing catchup with MS), why don't we do something
better.

I used a program for win called (can't remember name)
but it turned the middle button of the mouse into a
scroll button. (The wheel on the intellmouse can be
used as a third button under win -- I don't know how
*nix drivers handle it). Clicking the middle button
would put a bulls-eye anorched in clicked spot on the screen to let
you know that you were in scroll mode.
Moving the mouse away from the bulls-eye would change
the cursor into one of eight directional arrows. Move
a little more and the control under the bulls-eye
would begin scrolling in the direction indictated.
Move farther, scroll faster. click any button to end
scroll mode.

The wheel support would be a limited version of scroll
mode (auto mode entry and exit and limited to two way
scrolling instead of eight way)

Don't limit this feature to people with wheeled mice
and don't limit it to two way scrolling.

==