Re: automake Q

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My application has a whole lot of files; I have a tendency to make a file
> for each C++ class. So I want to have subdirectories. However, the
> subdirectories don't correspond to an executable or library; all the files
> should still be compiled into objects and linked into a single executable
> for the whole package. The subdirectories are purely to help me keep track
> of what's going on.
>
> Will automake handle this? How?
>
> Havoc

Well, I've got a similar problem - first, I build a shared library in
each of my subdirectories. Then, I want to make one big shared library
which contains all the other ones like this:

	egcs -shared -o libbig.so object.lo libfirst.so libsecond.so

In this case, the linker should normally include the whole `libfirst.so'
and `libsecond.so' in the `libbig.so' - but I have not yet found any
way to do this with automake.

The only (well, very ugly) workaround - which may also work in your case -
is this (from libgtop/guile/Makefile.am):

libgtop_la_LIBADD               = ../sysdeps/guile/guile.lo \
                                  ../lib/init.lo \
                                  ../lib/open.lo \
                                  ../sysdeps/common/error.lo \
                                  ../sysdeps/common/fsusage.lo \
                                  ../sysdeps/common/gnuslib.lo \
                                  ../sysdeps/@sysdeps_dir@/close.lo \
                                  ../sysdeps/@sysdeps_dir@/shm_limits.lo \

But then, you really have to list every single file from all your subdirs
- - very ugly.

Someone knows a better approach ?

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier

   baulig@castor.uni-trier.de, http://www.home-of-linux.org/
   Key: 1024-bit key with ID C8178435 created 1997/01/24
   ID:  67 C1 84 A0 47 F5 11 C5  5F 68 4C 84 99 05 C3 92
   Finger me for public key or fetch finger.txt from the url above