Re: Icons of program

On 23 Apr, Dwight Hubbard shouted:
->  raster@redhat.com wrote:
->
->  > [snip]
->
->  > well the amiga version wroked pretty damn well and to date i havent
->  > seen a better system - and systems suggested here, form what i can see
->  > and my experience with gui systems for the past 10 years is that the
->  > amiga has the right concept (if we discount the macs special fs for
->  > holdinding icons) .. some details (like icons were planar etc.) were
->  > due to their being designed aroudn the hware they were on and the icon
->  > palette was fixed wiht newicons to replace the old icon library.. but
->  > all in all it was a very nice, compact usableand maintainable system
->  > that worked well and cohesively.
->  >
->
->  Exactly, of all the proposals that have been made the .info file concept has been
->  implemented and shown to work.  Windows 95 shows that centralizing things isn't as
->  reliable.   Besides which, how do you keep a centralized database synced up if the user
->  can do things directly to the filesystem from the command line.
->
->  Wouldn't it be better to make the icon handling into two libraries.  One library to
->  handle multiple data types in a standardized format, I.E. IFF library and keep the image
->  handling in imagelib.  That way, programs could use the IFF library or equivilent for
->  saving files which contain multiple types of data in a standardized format in addition
->  to using it to create or read .info files.

would be in the lib. I'd allow arbitary chunks fo data to be attached
as the data segement of a chunk.. :) thats cause i want the wormat to
be expandable :)
->
->  > ->  - use more inodes (one for meta-data file, several for the images [active
->  > ->    inactive, etc.])(But we've got these to spare, right?)
->  >
->  > yeah.. but they arent packaged together.. iyou have to thne keep track
->  > of ALL that data when moving it form one system to another etc... its
->  > much easier to have it packed up into a single file to move with the
->  > file that cion represents.. you cna make that icon be used by a new
->  > file by simply renaming the icon file.. :)
->  >
->  > ->  + It's simpler than implementing a new icon format. (KISSes better :-)
->  >
->  > nah.. same amount of work.. i'd still have to write routines to handle
->  > reading int he format and changing it and writign it out.. tis about
->  > the same amount of work. Trust me on this. I've done this several times
->  > already. :) I've learnt form experience. :)
->

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
raster@rasterman.com       /\___ /\ ___/||\___ ____/|/\___  raster@redhat.com