Re: g++ being dorky (was C++ rants)

On Fri, Apr 10, 1998 at 12:50:26AM +0000, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> It was a bug in gcc fixed in egcs 1.0.2. IMHO, if a certain compiler
> has a bug with a language feature, that does not really tell much
> about the usefullnes of that feature. It seems to me that the most
It's not ranting about a given compiler. Even with better compilers
it uses awful much memory to compile. And think about the codesize
of the program. The problem is that C++ still doesn't have a full
RTTI. Additionally, the convolved Object model of C++ makes certain things
impossible, like taking an object pointer cast it to void and than
use it to send some message to the object. You still need to know the
exact type of object.
(Just thing about an object that inherits X twice. What X will it become
 when you cast it to X* ? Why this one? )
Ever noticed, that no OO language beside C++ has copied objects?
(Ok, ADA and the like have it, but they use it not for OO, but for ADTs.)
> annoying thing about templates for some people is that they are
> (nearly) impossible in C.
Why? The template mechanism of C++ started out as a couple of #define's.

Andreas