Re: Proposed new API for libgnomeui

Hi Alex,

	Uncontroversial as the API is; we should do a quick GEP on it before
folding it into libgnomeui IMHO, since it's a good few new API entry
points. That gives a week or so delay but, it's the principle of the
thing :-)

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 16:48, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> I've been working on the new NautilusIconFactory in the
> new-icon-factory-branch branch of nautilus. It now uses GnomeIconLoader
> from libgnomedesktop to do the theming instead of the nautilus icon
> theming crap.

	Great; I didn't understand a few bits:

> char *gnome_icon_lookup      (GnomeIconLoader            *icon_loader,
> 			      GnomeThumbnailFactory      *thumbnail_factory,
> 			      const char                 *file_uri,
> 			      const char                 *custom_icon,
> 			      GnomeVFSFileInfo           *file_info,
> 			      const char                 *mime_type,
> 			      GnomeIconLookupFlags        flags,
> 			      GnomeIconLookupResultFlags *result);

	Why do we not handle the 'custom_icon' stuff centrally as well ? since
we have the file_uri ? - perhaps that creates more complexity - but it
ties into my next question:

	How do we do sizing ? AFAIR we had different filenames available for
different sizes; does this still allow us that degree of pixel
perfection ? indeed, is that even merited ?

> It's basically one function (with a sync variant that loads data from
> the disk) that returns an icon name or a full absolute pathname.
> You can optionally pass it a GnomeThumbnailFactory if you want to be able
> to read already exisitng thumbnails.

	The Thumbnail factory is a compatibility thing ?

> GdkPixbuf *gnome_thumbnail_load_pixbuf       (const char         *uri);

	I'm slightly confused as to which bit of API actually causes the
creation of the thumbnails, and whether that is asynchronous, but I'll
look again when it goes into HEAD nautilus.

> Andersca is interested in getting this into libgnomeui. We would need to
> move GnomeIconLoader from gnome-desktop to avoid dependency loops too.
> Comments on this API?

	Very good to have in the core IMHO.

	Regards,

		Michael.