Re: moving egg_screen_* into libgnomeui

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 00:58, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi Anders,
> 	Now that libgnome* has branched I'd like to move the
> screen-exec wrappers from libegg into libgnome and libgnomeui.
[snip]
> char      *gnome_screen_exec_display_string        (GdkScreen     *screen);
> char     **gnome_screen_exec_environment           (GdkScreen     *screen);
[snip]

I don't know if there's an alternative but I'd like to complain about
this, because it's too late to complain about similar things in
libgnomeui.

GTK/GNOME tries to be Object Orientated, but it doesn't seem very O-O
for a separate library to start adding methods to a class that's defined
in a dependent library.

In this case I mean that you are adding the exec_display_string() and
exec_environment(), etc, methods to GdkScreen. Ideally you would derive
a GnomeUiScreen class from GdkScreen and have methods that acted on
that. Derived classes are not just for new data fields - they are for
new functionality too.

However, I guess that it isn't easy to derive from Gdk classes, so I'm
just whining.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net