Re: multiscreen execing functions

Hi Jacob,

On 27 Jun 2002, jacob berkman wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 02:32, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Hey Guys,
> > 	In the course of doing panel and nautilus multihead support
> > the need for some variants of the gnome-exec and gspawn functions were
> > needed. Basically, they change the DISPLAY var of the child process so
> > that its default screen is the one specified in the GdkScreen arg.
> >
> > 	I guess the only sensible place for this is in libgnomeui and
> > that if Anders is willing to sponsor they should go into libegg for
> > the moment.
> >
> > 	I've attached the implementations.
> >
> > 	Thoughts, anyone ? Anders ?
>
> why do you want to export the env and display string functions?

	The display one mayeb isn't neccessary, but the env one is
actually quite useful - e.g. gnome_desktop_item_launch_with_env.

> and why have the shell function?

> [ why not just extend all of the gspawn functions? ]

	Actually, I fairly confused as to the usefulness of the
gnome-exec methods over the gspawn ones. I just went by the rule that
if it uses gnome-exec, it needed a multiscreen version of it. But
in fairness, that was just laziness on my part. You'll note that
egg_screen_execute_command_line_async is just an extension of the the
gspawn one. But of course, it can't go into glib, and I doubt its the
kind of thing Owen wants in gdk :-)

Good Luck,
Mark.