Re: API Access to GdkPixbuf in GnomeCanvasPixbuf

Havoc wrote:

>Marc Mulcahy <marc mulcahy sun com> writes:
> > In preparation for platform alpha, I have reviewed libgnomecanvas
> > for any possible API changes necessary to implement accessibility on
> > its widgets.  the only issue I discovered is that there is currently
> > no API to access the GdkPixbuf contained in a GnomeCanvasPixbuf
> > widget.  This would be required for screen readers or other
> > assistive technology which needs to uniquely identify an image, or
> > which in some other way needs access to it.  Could this be added?
>
>My expectation would be that any GnomeCanvas display will require
>substantial custom accessibility work - for example we have no idea if
>a GdkPixbuf item is conveying interesting information or just some
>irrelevant decoration (I suspect in most cases it's the latter).
>Basically GnomeCanvas is similar to GDK in that it's a way to draw,
>there's no high-level semantics...
>
>That said I'm sure we could have a way to get the pixbuf from a pixbuf
>item (if g_object_get() won't work), I just doubt it gets us very far.

I agree, with respect to most applications of GtkCanvas.  However there
is still utility in getting the pixbuf for other reasons, for instance
sending it to a converter that can edge-filter it and send it to a
braille printer... or doing a snapshot of it, since most snapshot
utilities are not very accessible.

-Bill