Re: gnome 2 threading stuff

jacob berkman <jacob ximian com> writes:
> this makes dialogs not hang for me, but i don't know if it is the right
> patch.  should we be patching gnome in these cases, or each app?

When GNOME calls the main loop then it should probably drop the locks;
I think gtk_dialog_run() does that.

Apps are responsible for acquiring the locks before calling
gnome_dialog_run() (or any other gtk function).

However it's really broken that we are using the locks for all apps
right now, this particular bug is the least of the issues that
introduces; every app needs to be locking around every GTK call until
we fix this issue.

GTK should have a separate gtk_enable_threads(), instead of enabling
the GTK global lock whenever g_thread_init() has been called, so we
can init threads and use them in part of an app, without requiring
locking on GTK (since the app may not allow multiple threads in the
GUI portion).

Havoc