Re: weird thread stuff

Hi Jonathan,

On 19 Oct 2001, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> I just ran into this problem last night.  In CVS gfloppy, the only
> gnome call I make is gnome_init to parse arguments -- I wasn't
> expecting it to initialize threads.

        Well - we need to start writing code as if it is threaded.
Gnome-vfs uses threads and will initialize them - gnome-vfs should be used
by everything.

        The real fix for threads - to avoid having to use the horribly
grotesque Gtk+ threading workaround is to ensure that we can disable /
enable Gtk+ locking separately - since in the vast majority of cases there
is no reason why we would want to use Gtk+ from two processes, simply
because we are using gnome-vfs threads. Havoc suggested adding an API to
turn Gdk+ locking support on / off that didn't depend solely on whether
threads were initialized.

        Shall I make up a gtk+ patch for this ? as for the immediate
issue, yes there is no reason for bonobo-activation to init threads -
apart from the fact that a gnome-vfs using module may be pulled in
perhaps - but that should do the init itself.

        Regards,

                Michael.