Re: emit_event warning in GnomeCanvas

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 09:29:13AM -0800, Darin Adler wrote:
> On 12/6/01 8:15 PM, "Michael Meeks" <michael peabody ximian com> wrote:
>
> >       It's worth mentioning that switching to a console - C-M-F1,
> > logging in and a killall -9 gdb would release the grab more easily without
> > going to the pain of slaughtering all those innocent panel applets :-)
> > it's still unpleasant though.
>
> I have done that many times. And it sometimes works. And other times it
> freezes my machine hard requiring a reboot. I wish I could figure out the
> rule for when it's a fatal mistake.

One way I was dealing with debugging code that can grab is to have two computers.
I have my laptop and log into an ssh session into my alpha, then I have my gdb
console on another display/machine, so I don't have to kill X or do
anything on my alpha.  This works quite well if you have enough space on your
desk for the extra laptop :)

George