Re: adding interfaces to stable libraries

Hey Havoc,

> But the point is that anytime you do this it causes hassle and is a
> PITA. So you should not do it for some goofy 5-line function on a
> deprecated widget. ;-)

Well, it is not a deprecated widget in the GNOME 1.x code base (it is
for 2.x), and back in february the concern was that all the
GnomeDialog API was button-based instead of list-based.  Poking at the
internals was consider a bad idea.

> There is also a lot of value to explicitly marking the API as new and
> not-for-gratuitous-use, as with the gtk_experimental_theme_engine_only
> functions you mentioned.

You are right, and I think the issue is important to address.  Should
we have standard mechanism to keep track of this?

> Not that the hassle this causes is _huge_ - I don't want to act like
> it's the end of the world. It's just clearly _more_ hassle than
> cutting-and-pasting a 5-line deprecated function.

I understand this, but back when we added this, the GNOME 1.x platform
was still our platform of choice (and will until the end of the year).

But I have been there before, I agree it is annoying.

Maybe we should change the configure tests in GDM as well?

Miguel.