Re: Sound server observations

ARTSd is supposed to be an all-encompassing sound solution covering from MIDI
to PCM wave output.  You're right about artsd being really slow.  THAT HAS to
be a bug.

I don't think getting rid of artsd is an option.   artsd is an excellent idea.

I think the real architectural problem/barrier resides in OSS.  ALSA has made
great strides towards a solution, but we still don't have (not that I know on
my infinite ignorance) a solution like the Windows driver model.

On a side note, have you noticed that ESD is illegal under the DMCA when used
with esddsp to play RealMedia streams?  but don't spread the word hahahaha.

I'd like to see automatic sound server setup for X terminals.

Good luck,