KDE menu icosn

I've been build an LFS (linuxfromscratch.com) and recently Installed Gnome 1.4.
At the time I didn't have KDE installed so I didn't set any of the --kde-xxx
options in any of the configuration scripts. I installed the gnome components to
/opt/gnome (including esound, audiofile and some of the other components that
arn't nescesarly part of gnome with the exception of midnight commander which in
installed in /usr). Later I went back and installed KDE in a similar fassion in
/opt/KDE. I went back and recompiled gnome-libs and gnome-core with the
--with-kde-datadir=/opt/KDE/share option. Afterwards I was able to see the KDE
menus on the panel, but no icons! What gives? Was there another package that
required you to do a --with-kde that I need to recompile? Also in one of the
packages, core I believe, it had an option --with-kde-docs or something to that
effect. I set it to /opt/KDE/share/doc. Is that the proper location for that
option and if not, what should it be. Thanks for any help.