Re: Mime Type Analysis

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> So (HUGE personal opinion, here), I think the best bet would be for
> the GNOME project to follow the agreed upon DES.  Now is a great time,
> too, since the VFS layer still hasn't been released.  There is already
> ample code in GNOME for handling .desktop files so that shouldn't be a
> problem either.

Putting MIME type handling in .desktop files is broken - there's not a 1:1
or even a 1:many relation between applications and MIME types.

The GNOME system has stupidities too, but it does have the advantage of
laying out the files in a format that more closely matches the ways the
data will need to be programmatically stored/accessed.

-- Elliot
"The Pythagorean Theorem employed 24 words, the Lord's Prayer has 66 words,
Archimedes Principle has 67 words, the 10 Commandments have 179 words, the
Gettysburg Address had 286 words, the Declaration of Independence, 1,300 words and
finally the European Commission's regulation on the sale of cabbage: 26,911 words."