Suggestion for minor interoperability advance

Hi,
I tried to open discussion on this on the #GNOME channel last night,
since we had some KDE develoeprs there then, but it seemed that people
where a bit tired after the long Kparts & bonobo discussion, so I
thought I should take it here instead.

One part that would make things a bit easier for users, yet which I
don't think would cause major discomfort for either project is a
standard was established is mime-type registration.

Since both projects are getting new  file browsers I would think that
now would be an ideal time to agree upon a common standard for how
mime-types can be registered.   AFAIK this is currently handled through
simple text files similar to the .desktop files for both systems, so if
a standard was reached for the . desktop files themn it is probably
reachable here too.

This would probably be an ideal project for Havoc's freedesktop.org
group to work on.

my 0.002 cents,
Christian