COL2.3 not on 1st 1024cylinders(admitted newbie)

I have win98 installed on my 20GB umda66hd and started the installation
beginning with PartitionMagic(bundled w/COL2.3) and during the inst. process
encountered the message 'root is out of the 1024cylinder range and may not
boot.' however, once specifying the correct partition to mout '/' as root, I
was allowed to continue with the rest of the installation as per the manual,
rebooted to win98 to complete the install with BootMagic installation and
again encountered the same error and would not let me install BootMagic.
I understand where the 1024 cylinder block is, but how do I correctly move
the linux kernel to that are(if this is indeed what I need to do) in order
to install my boot manager?

I appreciate all and any help. Thanks guys.

Simon Hamilton
Information Systems
t#212-324-2146
f#212-302-3222