Re: Trash system

Oleg Noskov wrote:

> I think the biggest stumbling block right now is to agree whether we have a user-specific
> Trash in every filesystem or there's only one Trash folder per user.
> My opinion is that transparently creating Trash folders on multiple filesystems is bad.

The alternatives are unworkable though. Copying Trash to the partition
with your home is suboptimal. You get a huge performance penalty that is
really hard to understand by the unsuspecting user. You may have your
"move to trash" fail because you do not have room to do the copy even
though the original partition has ample space on it, again a situation
that will be hard to comprehend by the user. The "undelete" operation
will have the same performance penalty problem.

> What
> credentials would be used when you create these directories? If user credentials, then there
> might be no writing permissions on that filesystem (except for the folder where the items
> being moved to Trash are located). And in general, I don't think it is right to assume that
> we can mess any filesystem without explicitly notifying user about such activity. It is too
> much like a Microsoft way of doing things. :)

The Nautilus solution I described earlier (not sure all folks saw it, I
posted it to gnome-kde-list gnome org and would be happy to resend)
deals with these issues in what we think is a workable way - it only
creates a Trash on a partition if the user actually tries to delete
items they have permissions to modify. That way we know where and how to
create Trash with user's permissions and in a way have a mandate to
"mess" with the partition because of the user-initiated delete
operation.

This mechanism transparently sorts out "sacred" partitions that only
contain items that aren't ever modified by the user and partitions that
contain user data that they create/modify/delete.

Would be nice if we pushed on this one together to get a more
usability-oriented solution adopted.

Pavel