Re: ppp question maybe on-topic

Hey Mike,

What other messages are you getting before "serial line looped back?"
At first glance, that sounds like a modem configuration problem.
It must be a high-level configuration problem, because if there were a
problem with your serial port, nothing would work. Hmm.

Does the modem ever successfully dial out, or does it die before it
connects?
Does pppd ever get started?

When you say, set up the scripts as in the HOW-TO, did you manually
enter
/etc/resolv.conf
pap-secrets/chap-secrets
/etc/hosts.allow
/etc/hosts.deny
/etc/hosts
and your chatscript?

What's in your chatscript?

Does wvdial work?

Looking in the /usr/doc/ppp*/README.linux:

do you have a /dev/ppp file?

Also, there's a linux-ppp mailing list

Send a message with the line
    subscribe linux-ppp