Re: KDE rethinking Corba

Am Don, 23 Sep 1999 schrieb Dan Kegel:
> According to http://lwn.net/daily/kdenews.html,
> the KDE project has found their current CORBA support
> bloats applications unpleasantly, and is considering
> switching to in-process server loading for same-machine
> plugins to an application.
> See http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=93734188322527&w=2
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=93758009911423&w=2
> and http://kdecvs.stud.fh-heilbronn.de/cvsweb/kdelibs/corba/cuteidl/
>
> Sounds like a big change.  Might this be an opportunity for
> Gnome and KDE to move closer together on Corba?
> Have Gnome people run into this issue?

We don't consider dropping CORBA. There was talk about using C++ interfaces
and shared libs for stuff like plugins. ;-)
There is currently work going on (almost finished) to reduce the bloat of MICO's
C++ bindings by adding QTL bindings to the idl compiler. By the way, the talk
about new ways of server activation has nothing to do with bloat, just with the
access method. ;-)

Greetings, Matthias

--
Matthias Elter