Re: Ditching CORBA, again?

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Um, this is not the "GNOME/KDE Troll List." There was exactly one or maybe
> two posts in this thread that were on-topic (about interoperability
> potential).
>
> Please, do not post just to get people in a fight about CORBA, since that
> promises to be tiresome.
>
> Havoc

When I met Havoc in Ottawa back in June we discussed about trying to set
up a mixed team in order to attempt finding common grounds (we were
specifically talking about the object model, filesystem resources - like
the $HOME/Desktop directory etc.)

Havoc kindly offered CVS space for IDL files and such. Unfortunately there
were a bad timing (with summer exams, holidays, typical real-world job
seeking periods) which made so that from our camp only Waldo Bastian
signaled his interest and even him did so a bit late. I never heard of
GNOME people that were going to participate - apart Havoc himself).

Of course, I realize that this moment is also badly chosen, since Kanossa
is really young (altough already sports 80% functionality on our whole
OpenParts-dependent app-base, so we can expect crystalized specs and even
documentation in a couple of dozens of days).

But couldn't we just put the foot down and be consistent?

We already have this list as main mean of communication (thanks, GNOME
postmasters).

Havoc, is that CVS still available?

We also have a start for a list of accomplished or possible
collaborations:

XDnD
Preston + RHLabs's ".desktop" spec,
Matthias Ettrich + Marko Macek's WM spec (which is already in its way to
	implementation in kwin)
what else? Did that hicolor icons "deal" go on?
(Ex: we can generate a common mechanism of indexing documentation and make
it possible to have it presented in both khelpcenter and gnome's help
browser in similar manners, if installed)

We could ask Linux.com for a GNOME+KDE (alphabetic order :-) web page
hosting.

We could also open a list of people sincerely interested in collaboration.

Ah! Yes! And the trashing must stop. I will never understand how can
disrespect of others' work come into the picture with people who claim to
be open-minded enough that they militate for Open Source computing.

Cristian

Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna
KDE contact - Canada :  tibirna@kde.org       : www.kde.org