Re: aRts and Gnome

Hi,

My understanding of the problems with using the audio device directly is:

 - only one app can use it at a time
 - it doesn't work over the network
 - it is platform-specific

I know nothing about sound - but can you give a brief summary of how aRts
addresses these issues; also, what is the benefit of the additional stuff
in aRts? Why shouldn't we have a simple server that does the above stuff,
and then aRts is one client of that server? In short, what does the
additional complexity of aRts buy us?

Honest questions - basically I'm asking for a summary of the reasons KDE
decided to go with aRts, what problems are being addressed, etc.

Havoc