Re: Hrm. Now I know why this list is dead

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Dan Kegel wrote:
...snip...

> On the KDE side, KOM says that each app should be able
> to respond to a set of standard events
> ( see http://developer.kde.org/openparts/html/openparts-2.html )
> e.g. Desktop/Font/ChangeFont or OpenURL.
> This is like Apple's AppleEvent system.
> I have not yet seen a full list of standard events, so I don't
> know how well (or whether) this is implemented yet.
> The KDE web site is thin on Corba-on-KDE documentation;
> http://developer.kde.org/openparts/html/openparts.html has a nice
> general overview, but I don't see any tutorials.

Tutorials are in the CVS (example programs in kdebase/corba), and a
(unfinished) text tutorial in kdenonbeta. Also, Mico is extensively documented.

...snip...

> It looks like Corba use by both desktops is at a very early stage,
> so there ought to be some opportunity to design in some
> interoperability.

The KOM/OP interface is being used successfuly in both Konqueror (the file
manager for KDE2.0), and KOffice. KOM/OP is no longer considered at an early
stage and is used extensively in many CVS applications which will make up
KDE2.0.