Re: Hrm. Now I know why this list is dead

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 1999, Mosfet wrote:
>
> > hmm. Since my unsubscribe didn't work I figured I would respond to a
> > particular post.
> >
> > On Thu, 20 May 1999, you wrote: > [This message has also been posted.]
> > > comments. Miguel is entitled to his opinions, he may just need to be
> > > reminded he just speaks for himself in the end.
> > >

> > Well then certainly I am entitled to my own opinion and that includes Miguel
> > being a total arse, hurting the free software movement by both offending other
> > free software developers and users, and being a liar in general. I am sick of
> > his bullshit.
> >
> > As far as the RedHat "jibe", the only KDE people I know that still support
> > working with Gnome/Miguel are paid by RH. Take that however you want.
>
> Ok. You are quite entitled to your opinions. I apologize if you felt I
> was saying otherwise.
>

> > > Please remember that the GNOME people have had to spend a year
> > being > told by some KDE developers and companies that they were wasting time,
> > > it would never work, and that people who worked on GNOME were hurting
> > > the Free Software movement because they werent in step with other
> > > people. [Working at Red Hat I have gotten some real "nice" letters about
> > > how we were only helping Microsoft for trying to do something
> > > different.]
> >
> > Oh, fuck off! We KDE people spend *much* more time being told we are
> > evil, including by people at RedHat and have *never* disrespected
> > Gnome like Miguel does KDE.
>
> I just wanted to say that we get the same exact stuff here for not using
> QT/KDE for the last year. Things like Red Hat doesnt ship KDE because
> you are the trying to control everything, spreading FUD, being Microsoft
> etc etc. I personally think that calling anyone evil over something as
> simple as your desktop is assinine, and I will say it gnome people as
> much as qt people.
>
> One thing that might not be clear here: (Miguel != Red Hat Software) and
> (Gnome !=Red Hat Software [I dont think the Debian developers would
> appreciate it]) anymore than my words are official words of
> Red Hat Software, or Eric Raymond speaks for everyone who uses Open
> Software.
>
> >From your words above, I can see that nothing I say would correct the
> problems you have gotten so I will just end with I dont agree with
> Miguel, and that is that.

Your right, you cannot do anything about it. As long as Miguel is running the
Gnome project he is the "offical spokesperson". As long as he is spreading
FUD and attacking KDE there will be no cooperation from me at least. He has
been tolerated for far too long.

As far as people comparing you to MS, it probably does not help to align
yourself with a project whose leader makes extensive use of marketing
practices people gripe about MS doing. It can not be denied that is what he is
doing and free software should not be like that. RH was very foolish for
aligning itself so heavily so early in the game. Instead of trying to work out
licensing issues they got the same NIH syndrome that Gnome itself has. Now the
licensing issues are solved and RH looks like an asshole company to a lot of
people. Go figure.

mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com