>    for (nz=0;nz<max;nz++)
>      dest(getstr,nz);
>   }
>
> int main()
>   {
>    int numnames=5;
>    alrm("hello %d\n",numnames);
>   }
> If that was part of the header of my library and someone tried to
> use it with any of a half dozen system headers it would have
> problems.  It used names that were macros in older libraries and
> wiped out keywords that appear in other library's headers.

Now you are being silly. I don't think I am going to continue responding to
your emails. Yes, Qt uses the emit identifier just like zlib uses compress, STL
uses String, X11 uses Pixmap, and if I remember correctly libsigc++ uses
Signal, and of course the standard libc uses identifiers like open, close, and
C itself uses main. You can't use those in your own code if you plan on using
any of the above. Duh.

Does this hurt portability? No. Does it conflict with other libraries? You
says it conflicts with yours, but I can't think of any other Unix library that
actually exists (certainly not the 100+ I have on my system) that it does and
certainly nothing being used by the million+ lines of KDE code. I can come up
with ways to break any library too...

mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org
mosfet@jorsm.com