Shared code between Gnome and KDE

   Hi!

What I noticed is that KDE and Gnome do - unnecessarily - build every
bit from scratch. While the points about the toolkit are certainly a
valid reason not to share widgets and visual applications, other
things wouldn't cause problems.

For instance, one of my current projects is building a midi bus. This
part should ensure, that different midi based applications find each
other, know about the services (and instuments, effects, whatever)
the other application provides. And of course it should pass events
around.
The thing should be based on CORBA, while perhaps event passing itself
could be done in some performance tuned way.

But there is no reason to tie this to KDE or Gnome. But I would like
to see it included in both.
Couldn't be there a shared section in the CVS? The current structure
doesn't even allow lines in the CVS to be shared, since each project
has its own CVS.

It's silly by the way, with KDE having megabytes and megabytes of source,
not a single line should be sharable? Think about the VFS code. Think
about having a shared scripting facility.

  Cu... Stefan