Re: Food for thought: Why (and how) should KDE and Gnome unite?

Adam Rotaru <arotaru@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
>   KDE vs. Gnome.
>   First, we have to note that both of this animals will work with _any_ X
> application, so it's not like Win vs. Mac. But apps take advantage of the
> desktopping functions only if they are written for that environment.
>   Having _both_ Gnome and KDE and using the same (X) apps with both is
> possible, but it's not what we'd like in the long run.

If we want KDE and Gnome interoperate, the following things must happen:
1) Set of libraries must be introduced that are independent of the
   other Gnome or KDE things, especially widget sets. These libraries
   must have corba interface, so that our existing common ground (IIOP)
   can be utilized -- access outside corba interfaces to these libraries
   is banned.
2) Web pages must be created and published that has corba interfaces
   that are independent of the other parts of the environment.
   (no dependencies to the widget sets from the interface, nor its
   initial implementation) This allows creation of applications that
   are independent of the environment it runs on.

I propose the following actions to implement this:
1) Start a new cvs repository, independent of the KDE or gnome
   trees. (its requirement that any code placed to that repository
   is independent of the gnome vs kde split) (a volunteer needed to
   maintain the cvs repository/provide resources for it)
2) convince both gnome and kde programmers to start depend on interfaces and
   code in that repository. (so that everyone using kde or gnome must
   download it)
3) move best and most modular pieces of code from gnome and kde cvs
   repositories to the new cvs repository - co-operation of many
   authors of gnome and kde modules are needed.

>   Qt vs GTK+
>   The main problem, which can't be overcome by 'gradual convergence', is
> the widget set. Which is better? Qt is supposedly better supported, now
> also free (but not GPLed, which is still perceived as a problem), while
> GTK+ is GPLed.  In nay case, changing the underlying widget set
> means a lof of recoding.

THere's no way widget libraries will merge in the near future. We need to
have code that does not depend on the widget libraries.

Making reusable modules that are independent of the differences of gtk+
and qt is the main issue - making them good enough that people can start
depend on them is a challenge. I think both gnome and kde cvs repositories
have such modules available which does not depend on the rest of the
code, now those modules should be identified and separated from the
existing repositories -- its too easy to hardcode completely nice and
modular package to surrounding libraries.

If you have or know some gnome or kde module that is (mostly)
independent of surrounding libraries, post its name to the list.

--
-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --