Re: Food for thought: Why (and how) should KDE and Gnome unite?

Adam Rotaru wrote:

>     Hi,
>
>   Here's the list of the "users' wishlist" so far, compiled from
>
> Common:
> - mime type bindings
> - application bindings, start menu
> - menu handling
> - cut-and-paste handling
> - drag-and-drop handling
> - panel-docked application handling
> - interchangable helps (in html)
> - common icons
> - common configurable keysettings
> - object manipulations  (embedding; Corba)
> - common file formats (word processor)
>
> Yours are pretty much along these lines. so I trust you :)
>
> On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Kevin Forge wrote:
>
> > The areas of interaction that actually matter are as follows.  With my
> > take on what can be done.  Take these comments from an end user
> > perspective and see what could be done to make the feel of these goals
> > appear on screen.
> >
> > 1 : Cut and past:- I have herd that this works.  Anybody running a
> > combo desktop can confirm ?
>
>   That would be great. Right now, I can't even cut'n'paste from an xterm
> to KEdit, or between two xterms, running KDE! (might be Sun-specific
> problem),

terms are a problem and I don't know why.  Right now only the basic X
method of LMB selects/copys while MMB pasts.

> > 2 : Drag and Drop:-  Done deal.
>   What do you mean?

QT, GTK+ and a cople other toolkits impliment XDnD.  This is now a
standard Drag and Drop mechanisim so this will work transparently.

> > 3 : Corba:- I have herd that Corba is Corba so it doesn't matter what
> > orb each project uses.  Except that loading 2 must be heavier than
>   I'd like to find out more about this. Hopefully, the mico and ORBit
> talk the same language.

That's what I sayed :)

> > 4 : GUI configuration/Themes:-  Simply having the same thumbing ability
> > supported is irrelevant.  What really matters is that the config tool
> > for each desktop can manipulate the setting s for the other in a user
> > transparent manner.  This means that if you set KDE to blue the Gnome
> > apps will also be blue.
>    Desktop themeing is quite widget-dependent, and not crucial.

Not realy.  Somebody hacked Themed widgets into KDe months ago but the
developers chose to hold off ontil QT-2.0 is released and let Troll
sufer
those particular headechs.  ( Realy they just didn't want 2 difernet
ways
of doing the same thing making KDe more cumbersome than needs be.