Re: Python 2,2 and 2.4 on container

Olav Vitters wrote:
Evandro Fernandes Giovanini mentioned on d-d-l that atrpms.net had
Python 2.4 rpms for RHEL3. As I do not trust that source I downloaded
the src.rpm, verified the sources + spec + patches are sane and
recompiled it in my homedir.

Now container has Python 2.4 in /usr/bin/python2.4 or /usr/bin/python24.
When reviewing the patches I noticed some references to Python 2.3, so
please verify if it is working correctly.

To install the Python 2.4 rpm on another server, do:
rpm -ivh ~ovitters/rpm/RPMS/i386/python24-2.4.1-2_8.i386.rpm

It had a python24-tools + tkinter24 package as well, but I did not
install those.

Just to be clear: the rpm does NOT overwrite the existing Python install
(as long as the existing install is Python 2.2 / 2.3).

However, it does update the /usr/bin/python symlink, but that shouldn't be a problem.

FYI, I installed these RPMs on menubar too, thinking it might fix the segfault on malformed UTF-8 I was having, but it didn't. I ended up finding another workaround instead.

--
Ross