Re: [Fwd: Another suggestion for easening the mail burden..]

<quote who="Ross Golder">

> Just dug this suggestion from Stric up. Don't know if it makes any sense
> in the context of the stuff you're doing...

(Snip good suggestions about reducing the number of mails hitting Amavis.)

So, I've *massively* reduced the number of mails going to Amavis simply by
reducing the number of mails being allowed to go through the MTA. It looks
like roughly 1 mail per second going through Amavis, which correlates with
the number of received mails per minute (mpm) on mailgraph [1].

We can handle 75mpm, *internally*, no sweat. Realistically we can handle a
heck of a lot more, even before we give Amavis more head room (cranking up
its max_servers/max_requests, etc).

So, certainly something to think about in the future, but now that we have
good information about the behaviour of our mail load, we need to watch it
for a while, to get a better grip on it over a useful period of time. Then
we can start thinking about further optimisations.

(Replying on gnome-infrastructure for temporal documentation purposes.)

Thanks,

- Jeff

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/mailgraph.cgi - now with bonus virus/spam stats.

  "Linux continues to have almost as much soul as James Brown." - Forrest
                                 Cook, LWN