Re: Mail configuration issues and revolunteering

On อ., 2005-08-02 at 22:33 +0300, Toni Willberg wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 02:15 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > It'd be nice if those big name companies could also host a couple of these
> > > servers too.  Having resources outside of RedHat's Phoenix colo would give
> > > us improved redundancy/flexibility should any part of the internet lose
> > > connectivity to the Phoenix network. Perhaps even have them hosted outside
> > > the US completely (in Europe/Australia)?
> >
> > Strongly agree (a bugbear of mine from way back).
> >
> > - Jeff
> >

> Hi.
>
> Do we have hardware/bandwidth/backup/etc. requirements in mind for
> possible Europe-based server? There are several free/cheap hosting
> options in available here in Helsinki where I would have physical 24/7
> access to.
>
> - Toni

I think the answer here is 'no - we don't have any specific requirements
yet'. The only use I can think of (currently) that we would have for a
server outside the USA is as a network monitoring server
(NAGIOS/Zabbix/other/both/all/whatever), and for that the
hardware/bandwidth/backup requirements would be fairly minimal. Even
using it as a slave DNS shouldn't give it much traffic/load.

If used as a secondary mailserver, we could expect to need a slightly
more powerful server and more bandwidth.

Eventually, we might want to set up more international (CVS, FTP, web,
whatever) mirrors, but it would make sense to wait until we've got a
decent (lagless) mirroring mechanism working and we've made a few
decisions on which way we're going to do things (e.g. CVS vs Subversion
vs other). It wouldn't make sense to start setting things up if we know
we're likely going to change them shortly.

--
Ross