Re: turning on the viewcvs query feature

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 18:25 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> Now that Ross has set up Bonsai, it would be nice to turn on the query
> database feature.  While it provides similar functionality to bonsai's
> query page, it has the benefit of being more tightly integrated with the
> rest of viewcvs.
>
> The main steps to get it enabled are:
>
> 1. update viewcvs from CVS.  This can be done by performing a checkout
> of the viewcvs-web module somewhere, and running the command
> "./viewcvs-install --prefix=/usr/local/www/viewcvs-web", and then follow
> the prompts (if it asks, choose to overwrite existing files).
>
> 2. install the MySQL-python package (Python bindings for MySQL).
>
> 3. edit the /usr/local/www/viewcvs-web/viewcvs.conf file's [cvsdb]
> section, and fill in host, database_name, readonly_user and
> readonly_password.  The "enabled" setting should be set to 1.  The user
> account only needs read-only access to the bonsai checkin database.
>
> That should be all that's needed to turn it on.  There should be a
> "Query revision history" link at the top of each directory listing page
> in viewcvs, which will take you to the query form.

All done, but on submitting the query form, I'm getting a python
stacktrace :(

> Currently we maintain the viewcvs conf file in CVS, so it would be nice
> if the changes to the [cvsdb] section could be merged back in.  I don't
> think there is much of a problem having the password in CVS because:
>  - the database user account only needs read access.
>  - the account could be limited to logins from cvs.gnome.org.
>  - all the information in the checkin database is publicly available in
> the CVS repository.

Sure, but I don't understand why the database information would need to
be merged back into CVS. Also, I don't see a viewcvs.conf in the
directory. Did you mean the viewcvs.conf.dist file?

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/viewcvs-web/

Cheers,

--
Ross