scim smart pinyin option

Greetings!

I am using Ubuntu Dapper Beta on IBM T41, x86. I have scim-chinese,
scim-pinyin and other necessary software installed.

When I open gedit, change input method to SCIM input method, I get a
small toolbar which gives me options to choose the input method. Under
Simplified Chinese, I get only these options:

- Erbi
- Erbi-QS
- Wubi
- Ziranma
- <another chinese entry>

I don't seem to have an entry for "Smart Pinyin" although the SCIM
config setup has a Smart Pinyin entry and have enabled necessary
options.

1. What do I need to install/configure to get this smart pinyin option?

2. What is the recommended easier/comprehensive input method for
chinese input - smart pinyin, intelligent pinyin (can't see this
option either), fcitx (no english documentation), or any other?

Thanks,

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan