Re: Vertimus

Hi,

On ven, 2006-07-21 at 18:38 +0200, Erdal Ronahi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have followed the thread about the French translators group a bit.
> This "Vertimus" seems to be an interesting tool. Can you tell us more
> about it?

Sure :-)
vertimus is a small webapp we wrote to help the coordination in our
team. It periodically downloads the statistics from l10n-status.g.o and
puts them in a database. Then, translators can mark a module as reserved
for translation. Once the translator has translated it, he can attach
the po file to the module and people can make some comments, proofread
it, etc.

The code is probably one of the ugliest code out there, but it kind of
works. There's a TODO list of things to implement to make the tool even
more useful (at least for us).

> Can it be deployed for other languages? What requirements does it
> have? Is it free software? We are always looking for great tools that
> simplify the translations and revision process.

There's no reason it cannot be deployed for other languages. The main
issue is that its interface is in French, so there is some work to do
here to localize it (if people are interested).

It depends on php/mysql (using another db shouldn't be hard). It also
depends on python and a cron job to download the statistics.

It's free (BSD and GPL). The code is available in two bzr branches:
http://www.vuntz.net/bzr/vertimus/ and
http://copyleft.free.fr/bzr/vertimus/

So you can get the code with this command line: "bzr branch URL"

We should probably make a small webpage for it somewhere. And at least
translate the README file :-) I'll try to do it ASAP if people are
interested.

Any help on improving vertimus would be welcome since there's no people
with free time hacking on it.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas press�