Re: Establishing zh_HK team

On 12/20/05, Abel Cheung <abelcheung gmail com> wrote:
> I'd like to establish a new translation team -- well, put it strictly this
> isn't a new transation team at all, but another variant of Chinese.
> This is due to the fact that the usage of Taiwan and Hong Kong
> wordings are starting to become incompatible gradually, and right
> now there is need to seperate translations.
>
> For the purpose of adding bugzilla component, the language name
> would better be "Chinese (Hong Kong)". And please make me
> (deaddog AT deaddog.org) the default owner of zh_HK component.
>
> At the translation side, both zh_HK and zh_TW would be handled by
> the same team of people with conversion script. (this situation is
> like sr and sr Latn?)

I see the teams are now named "Chinese (China)", "Chinese (Taiwan)",
and "Chinese (Hong Kong)", instead of the old "Chinese (simplified)"
and "Chinese (traditional)".
Is this naming really politically correct? I mean, there is probably a
good reason the translations are commonly called "traditional" and
"simplified", instead of anything else, in other projects and other
software.
For GNOME, it is probably important to use conventional namings where
possible, instead of names that may be offensive in some way, if we
can avoid it.
But I'm no expert. So are you sure this will be ok?