Re: Gnome2 User Guide: translate it!

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 09:54 +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> --- Danilo Å egan <danilo gnome org> wrote:
>
> > Today at 20:46, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any way we can mark a whole docbook
> > section
> > > as not worth translating because it's going to get
> > > rewritten completely?
> >
> > Sure, just put it inside "<!--" and "-->" ;)
> >

> Hmm... I still need to be able to see those bits in
> yelp so I know to rewrite them.
> Shaun, can we do anything with the DocBook <remark> tag?

Absolutely.  My intention is to have a stylesheet parameter
to set whether or not remark elements should be shown.  It
would be false by default, but we'd have some way to make
Yelp turn remarks on.  Maybe a GConf key or something.

It would also be nice to treat remarks specially in xml2po.
They don't really need to be translated, since they're not
really part of the document.

We could probably come up with some clever system of using
remarks to provide translator comments to entire blocks of
translatable units.  Then again, we could probably do some
xml2po magic to do the same thing with comments.  Imagine:

<!-- Translators: Don't bother with this section yet -->
<section id="fum">
  <title>Fum</title>
  <para>Paragraph 1</para>
  <para>Paragraph 2</para>
  <para>Paragraph 3</para>
</section>

With some clever programming, xml2po could detect the
translator comment on the section element and distribute
it across its ancestors.  Danilo, thoughts?

--
Shaun