Re: Georgian Gnome l10n state

Danilo Šegan wrote:
Hi guys,

Hello Danilo ,
Basically, we have two candidate coordinators, if I understood
everything right.  So, here's my analysis of the situation.

Yes I Vladimer (Alinux) Sichinava and Alexander (sd-tux) Didebulidze
Current coordinator:
  Aiet Kolkhi <aiet qartuli net>

  With the homepage for Georgian Gnome l10n here:
    http://aiet.qartuli.net/projects/gnome_en.php

There appears to be a significant amount of translations here:
http://gakartuleba.sapikhvno.org/on/po/get_tables.php?lg=en&view=all
Most of the modules here are over 50% translated.

  List at
    http://aiet.qartuli.net/mailman/listinfo/ka_aiet.qartuli.net
  seems pretty dead.

  Aiet, why is none of this in Gnome CVS?
    http://i18n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.14/ka/index.html

We have mailed him totem.po at 2.8 period.... nothing commited...
I don't want even talk with him. Promises, promises and promises!!!!
I'm not a kid..
:(

Proposed coordinator:
  Vladimer Sichinava <alinux profusion it>
  His Ubuntu Launchpad homepage: https://launchpad.net/people/alinux
  (also supported by Alexander Didebulidze <lists inet ge>)

Yes we both :)
Translation results (in size seems equivalent to Aiet's, I didn't
check too closely, I am on limited bandwidth right now):
http://svn.inet.ge/svn/ka_GE/
Alexander is working on it right now... also we want wo create a
simple geo GNOME translators welcome page.
Work in progress....
  (it'd be much easier if we had stats, at least those produced with
  for i in `find -name '*.po'`; do msgfmt -cv -o /dev/null "$i"; done)

Now, I cannot judge the quality of work in either team, but I can try
to judge the satisfaction from community members.

Aiet, while you have been doing some work, I guess you didn't
understand that we want that work to happen in Gnome CVS: even
partial, incomplete and sometimes imperfect translations are good to
have, since they will stimulate people to join and help in completing
and perfecting them.
Heheh, Aiet is "Microsoft minded" ... he is "Cathedral"
and we GIA's community are "Bazaar"....

Everything must be perfect, he is working on GNOME 2.28s
translations!

(sometimes I'm cruel, Yes! Sad but true :()
That's what CVS is for: keeping track of the
work as it goes along.  And two years is a long time to not have done
any significant work (as would CVS state suggest).

So, a first step in resolving this would be for Aiet to commit all the
work he's done and/or coordinated so far to Gnome CVS.  I'll take it
as a misunderstanding between Aiet and GTP for this was not done
earlier.  (if you don't have CVS account, we can commit some
translations for you)

Next, I'd like us to make a decision for the benefit of the Georgian and Gnome community at large, so I want to know who all has contributed and is actively contributing to both of your teams? (just an attempt to figure out who has better support, this is in no way definite: two dedicated people may do more work than 10 randomly-helping guys and gals)

Aiet has no team....

Ubuntu Translators + GIA.ge = I, Alexander, Gia Shervashidze (Mozilla localisator) our girlfriends (linguist students), Temuri Doghonadze, and Gio Machitidze (GioMac)...

Generally, my understanding is this: Vladimir and Alexander are very
motivated to work on Georgian Gnome l10n, and they seem to have a few
more people behind them in Ubuntu Launchpad. Aiet has done some work,
but I am not convinced that he'll be able to keep up with it, and
seems to put away other contributors.
Exactly.
Ideally, I wouldn't want Gnome to lose either contributor, so I'd like
you to cooperate more openly.  If Aiet is unable to carry out that
work, I'd be looking into appointing Vladimir as the new coordinator.

Vladimer and Alexander, (we are like brothers)... :D
So Aiet, as current ka l10n coordinator, would you be willing to
accept contributions from Vladimir, Alexander, and other people
wanting to help? And Vladimir, do you think there is a way to
cooperate with Aiet that will bring satisfaction to Georgian
community?

cooperate ? :) hm, I f he wants to help! (I MEAN REAL HELP)
not only bla bla bla... I will cooperate with him...
but he is not my coordinator...!

As I speak Italian, I would like to say, BASTA!

Cheers,
Danilo

God Bless you, all hones open minded and open surced people!

Vladimer (Alinux) Sichinava