Re: Gnome-utils branched to gnome-2-14

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 10:20 +0100, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 06/02/2006 alle 10.26 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi ha scritto:

> > > Any plans for HEAD you'd like to share with us? :-)
>
> > Screenshot
> > 	* heavy bugzilla love
> > 	* remove the file name entry and use a filechooser button
> > 	* rework the UI and use a vertical layout
>

> I'll open relevant bug later, but what about a button to a new shot?
>
>         [Help]    [New Shot...] [Cancel] [Save]
>
> Clicking it you could provide a dialog with some options, like
>
>         Target
>           (*) Grab entire screen
>           (*) Grab only a window

>           Wait |3 | secs before shoot
>           [x] Add a drop shadow
>
>                        [Cancel] [Shot]

As I've mentioned elsewhere before, I think we should get
a dialog like this when opening the Screenshot tool from
the menus.  I absolutely do not want to mess with the
perfection we have now with PrtScrn and Alt+PrtScrn, but
we should have the "what would you like to do?" dialog
from the menus.  Why:

1) It's less startling the first time you do it.  It can
   guide users on what to do.
2) It would allow me to use our Screenshot tool to take
   screenshots of single windows in XNest.
3) It could provide access to a timeout for single-window
   screenshots, letting me open menus.
4) Bonus points: It could have helpful text right in the
   dialog telling you about the PrtScrn action, like:

      Target
         (*) Grab entire screen
             <i>Or use PrtScrn!!!</i>
         ( ) Grab only a window
             <i>Or use Alt+PrtScrn!!!!111</i>

Then normal users might actually learn about our wonderful
do-what-I-mean screenshot key bindings without having to
go read the documentation cover-to-cover.

--
Shaun