Re: Unicode Font Guide For Free/Libre Open Source Operating Systems

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Simos Xenitellis wrote:

> O/H Behdad Esfahbod ÎÎÏÎÏÎ:
> > Following up with recent discussion about fonts, I found this
> > invaluable:
> >
> >   http://www.unifont.org/fontguide/
> >
> The SOC would be a good opportunity to sort out the fonts and come up
> with candidate fonts.conf files that distributions can have.
> That is, which is the optimal selection of fonts for fontconfig but also
> for VCL.xcu (OpenOffice.org).
> It might be difficult to enforce, however having a somewhat common set
> of fonts will be good
> as documents and UIs would look somewhat similar.

While are free and encouraged to add your idea to the pool of
ideas, I doubt we will be accepting such a project for various
reasons, one of them being that SoC is about coding and for
example the FAQ says that writing documentation is not accepted.
Moreover, I don't think a SoC student has enough expertise to do
such font selection.

A really good SoC idea is to work on the fontmanager.

> Simos

--behdad
http://behdad.org/

	-- Dan Bern, "New American Language"