Re: totem string freeze breakages

On 10/23/05, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 23:15 +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> > Recently (2005-10-22), there seems to have been a lot of patches
> > causing GNOME 2.12 string freeze breakages in totem.
> >
> > Please either:
> > 1) revert those changes from CVS HEAD as soon as possible
> > or alternatively
> > 2) create a string frozen and stable "gnome-2-12" branch without those
> > changes, and let gnome-i18n gnome org, release-team gnome org and
> > gnome-doc-list gnome org know about the new stable branch.
>
> Sorry, it's going to be 3). I will not revert those changes, but you
> were kind enough to warn the translators before I had the chance to.
> The string changes (2 new strings, and 1 string change) were necessary
> to fix bugs. I could gratuitiously bump version numbers, but I still
> consider this version of Totem to be stable, and fixes known bugs.
>
> As long as no major features are added to the current stable branch, I
> don't want to rob users from bug fixes because of a simple string
> change.

If the bug fixes were important enough, why would there be a problem
asking for string freeze break approval?  The i18n people are flexible
and have approved things in the past.  I know the process can be a
pain, but I would very much appreciate it if you could go through it
and request their approval for these particular strings and explain
why they are important.

Cheers,
Elijah