Re: gnome-applets string freeze breakage

Christian et al,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:45:19AM -0500, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> As per bug #171855, I was told by the maintainer of the module to
> back-port my patch to STABLE.

I approved this backport to gnome-2-10 as it actually fixes two
serious errors in GWeather 2.10. One is related to translations of
city and location names, and the other was a serious memory leak.

> Also, as per the bug, it is noted that this is a message that the end
> user will never see.

> > 	#: gweather/gweather-pref.c:361
> > 	msgid ""
> > 	"Failed to load the Locations XML database.  Please report this as a bug."

While Ryan should have informed the i18n teams that he had added a
string, it's partially my fault for not informing him he had to do
so (or simply doing it myself). The priority of this string is very
low (ie. you should never see it), it was added because in the
current tree it would simply fail silently. We were also in a rush
to get it backported and to try and get some testing before next
week's release.

If this is unacceptable, then we will remove the string. However, I
hope that you can see why we think this patch is in fact quite
important, and that you have pity on us for only being mortal.

Regards
--davyd

--
Davyd Madeley