Re: RFC: How to handle nested tags in xml2po?

Danilo> xml2po sometimes needs to put placeholders in messages it extracts for
Danilo> translation.  They usually end up being something like:
Danilo> "Hello there: <placeholder-1 />"
Danilo> Now, translators don't have too much clue on what is all this about.
Danilo> With release notes, some even tried translating this tag name.
Then, a translator-note (#.) should be put before msgid. Or, why
couldn't we just use the something like "%s"? I think most translators
are familiar with %s already.

Danilo> I'm considering changing this to include real tag name instead:
Danilo> "Hello there: <itemizedlist-1 />"
I don't like it, for the reasons you've listed. The main use of xml2po
is to reduce the hard work of xml tags for the translators, rather than
providing an easy way to translate documentations.

Danilo> Now, please state your opinion on the issue, and whether you already
Danilo> have used xml2po to translate some of the documentation (because I
Danilo> think this will largely influence the response :).
I've already use xml2po in Mandrakelinux documentation[1] for two months.
The biggest problem on placeholder issue the inconsistent behavior. i.e,
some <para> within <footnote> are replaced with placeholders, others are
not, which is very strange.

[1] http://cvs.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/doc/po