Re: GNOME Desktop Usability Survey

On 27/03/2005, at 11:32 AM, HASE (Human Aspects of Software Engineering) wrote:

We are currently investigating the usability of the GNOME desktop software.
For that, we would highly appreciate it if you could follow the link below
and fill out a short survey we created titled the GNOME Desktop Usability
Survey (DESKUS):

http://umbc.edu/hase/gnome-deskus-survey.html

Many thanks for your help.

I think it's worth our raising a bit of awareness here: here's my added info at the end of that survey...

from Clytie

Do you define localizers/translators as people "working in human interface"? I didn't know how to answer that one, as a Gnome l10n volunteer (gnome-vi).

There are a lot of issues important to localization: being able to display the characters of the language properly, being able to customize the fonts and date/time/currency/formats, text display suiting the characters (not cutting off accents) and most of all, full Unicode support.

Users of "other" languages worry most about: will my system/desktop environment display my language/culture settings properly? That's our main concern. Do the applications I'm using in Gnome support Unicode fully? Are the man pages translated? Can I rely on this system/desktop environment to supply up-to-date and helpful translations?

This is a human-interface issue which is crucial to the vast majority of current and future computer users. Think less about cute icons and more about whether the user is able to understand and use whatever the icon stands for.

Thankyou

Clytie Siddall, gnome-vi