Re: string freeze breakage

sön 2005-03-13 klockan 11:54 -0500 skrev JP Rosevear:
> On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 11:32 +0100, Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:
> > fre, 11 03 2005 kl. 00:22 +0100, skrev Christian Rose:

> > > I'm having trouble figuring out how the changed string got in there --
> > > scroll to the bottom of
> > > http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/evolution/calendar/calendar-errors.xml.h?annotate=1.9.2.1
> > > and you'll clearly see that the affected line is part of the changes in
> > > revision 1.9.2.1 of the file, but the diff
> > > http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/evolution/calendar/calendar-errors.xml.h?r1=1.9&r2=1.9.2.1
> > > shows nothing. Am I just confused? JP, can you help?
> >
> > Yea its wird, it seems the string has been changed a while back:
> >
> > 2005-02-04  Vivek Jain <jvivek novell com>
> >
> >         * calendar-errors.xml.h
> >         * calendar-errors.xml : changed the warning message string for
> >         server-version
>
> Hmm, it seems the problem is that the string was changed but the .h file
> was not committed in updated form.  We don't use intltool currently for
> these file because of whitespace trampling issues that dobey can explain
> better than I.
>
> What would you like us to do?  We could probably in this case just
> untranslate the string.
>
> -JP

If possible, the best solution is probably to change the message to be
identical with the already existing addressbook one:

        #: addressbook/addressbook-errors.xml.h:68
        msgid "Some features may not work correctly with your current server version"

        #: calendar/calendar-errors.xml.h:146
        msgid " Some features may not work correctly with your current server version "

I see no obvious reason why the calendar message should have a leading
and trailing whitespace. If those whitespaces were removed, translators
would only have to translate one such message instead of two, the
translation would automatically be reused, and there would be no string
freeze problems.