Re: gnome-doc-utils strings (was Re: New module : GNOME Power Manager)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:04:07 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> It is essential to know the purpose of the string. Background like:
> _______________
> Type: menu item
> Function: brings up a dialogue which allows the user to modify
> currently-highlighted text
> Original: Edit
> _______________
> is much better than just "Edit" on its own. The less information in
> the string, the more explanation we need.

This would be a substantial burden to the developers.
Absolutely off-topic, for which I apologise: I've noticed that you're
quite actively translating GNOME and debconf templates. How can you
possibly do this effectively if you are not running a GNU system? Apple
Mail, AFAIK, runs only on the proprietary system MacOS X. We had one
translator in the past who was blindly translating on Windows and the
result was pretty painful -- all translations were a mess. That usually
happens when there is no possibility to test the translation.

Most of the code is very well commented, so if you doubt for a particular
string you can always checkout from CVS and open the relevant file in
another buffer of Emacs ;-) Or you can always check how other people have
translated it (f.i. our team is "using" the experience of the Russian,
Serbian and Macedonian teams).
There are some strings which are ambigous, but you can always test your
translation and make the right decision. Asking the developers to comment
every string in detail sounds crazy (at least to me).

P.S. Have you tried GNUMail.app?
--
Yavor Doganov			JID: doganov jabber minus273 org
Free Software Association - Bulgaria	       http://fsa-bg.org