Some queries and suggestions about bug reporting for PO files

Hi everybody :)

I've just come up for air after some long sessions in HEAD PO files, and reported a _stack_ of typos etc. at Bugzilla, and that's given rise to some irritation, um, constructive suggestions in my mind. ;)

1. Is the title of the PO file actually the name of the program as listed in the Bugzilla "pick a Gnome program" list? For example, I can't find a listing for "uf-view" or "contact-lookup-applet".

2. If we are going to continue using Bugzilla for problems with PO files, could we please ask each developer to choose the component "general" for his or her program? When reporting typos or problems with the PO file, being given the choice between "applet" and "dÃmon" is not useful.

3. In fact, could we have a component named "PO file" or "translation", thus alerting the developer from the beginning to what kind of report it is? Bugzilla is largely if not completely set up for reports of difficulties _running_ a program, not with translating its PO file. Having our own category would help both us and the developers. It would help especially for Gnome Bug-Squashing Parties, and Gnome Love Days, where translators could concentrate on bugs reported under our category, if we wished, and achieve (even ;) ) more. Perhaps the i18n and l10n tags do this already, but I still think it would help.

4. Where do we report bugs against the Gnome online interface itself? For example, I have had some problems with the Gnome Live site, which uses the moinmoin wiki software (which really doesn't compare with wikimedia, dokuwiki or pmwiki for UTF-8 support and intuitiuve and readable display, but I gather we're stuck with it :( ), some of which brought up error messages, and I don't know where to report them.

5. I reported the typo "occured" against four separate programs' PO files today, and that's only _today's_ bug-reporting. This typo is a disease at Gnome. Do we have any hope of immunizing our PO-file developers? I thought it was a recent or isolated problem, when I first encountered this typo in a few files, but it just keeps on happening, and I've noticed at least one other translator saying he has been trying to change this for some time. Is there, in fact, a more efficient way to address a wide-spread type of error, other than reporting it individually, again and again, against each and every PO file which contains it?

6. I would really like to make some sort of effective effort towards increasing developers' awareness of the need for context. For example, this string:

msgstr "by {0}"

No comment, no context, no nearby strings that appear to have any connection with it at all. Good grief!

I reported this as a query, but I think we have to do far too much guesswork while translating. How can we improve the situation? Is there anything constructive and positive we can do?

7. This next one isn't really a bug-reporting issue, but I'll add it here if that's OK. I recently discovered the Gnome glossary for my language, in gnome-i18n/glossary/ . I had no idea it was there.

I had wondered why some of msgmerge's guesses in files I'd downloaded for the first time were quite good, and others were way out, still others entries which I had to complete repeatedly in different files. Is the existence of the glossaries already part of our introductory material? I have updated the glossary file for my language, and I know it's going to save me a lot of repetitive work. I just wish I'd known about it before.

8. On the subject of repetitive work, I don't know much, if anything, about the way Gnome system resources work, but do we really have to translate things like "Orientation", "Orientation of the Tray", "File", "Edit", "Print" and other extremely common if not ubiquitous strings again and again in PO files? Is there a shared resource, that works like a GConf or glade file in some way, or as the iso-codes files should be used? Could we create a plugin that supplied these extremely common strings, so they only had to be translated once for each language? (I hope these suggestions aren't completely weird...â

My manic, um, tidy personality insists I create points 9 and 10 for decimal symmetry, but I'll leave it there, and ask very seriously for the benefit of your experience and wisdom on these topics. I would really like to see these issues improved, and I'd be willing to put time into them, but I don't know where to start.

Thankyou very much for reading this, and for any help you can offer. :)

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)