Re: String-freeze break in Gtk+

> > The introduced string (in two places) is:
> > #: gdk-pixbuf/io-xpm.c:1272 gdk-pixbuf/io-xpm.c:1281
> > #, fuzzy
> > msgid "Cannot allocate memory for loading XPM image"
> >
> > There is already another *very* similar message in the
> > same source file, so reusing this text would remove string
> > freeze breakage, and translators would be more than happy,
> > since they wouldn't have to update their translations if
> > they already translated this one:
> >
> > #: gdk-pixbuf/io-xpm.c:1333
> > msgid "Can't allocate memory for loading XPM image"
>
> So, why not using the existing one since, except for the
> spelling, they're the same?

They're identical, except that they're different.

If the strings are identical in spelling, the new string will
automatically get the same translation as the old string, and we
translator will never notice it.

If the strings are identical in meaning, they should still have the
same translation, but I will have to give them that manually. And file
a bug report complaining that they are not identical in spelling.

In other words, more and unneccessary work for us.

--
Åsmund Skjæveland {
   aasmunds fys uio no