Re: [OT] Markup in messages redux

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:50:50 +0200, Christian Rose <menthos gnome org> wrote:

I recently brought up the problems of surrounding markup on the Helix
translator list
(http://lists.helixcommunity.org/pipermail/player-l10n/2004-August/000032.html),
where I learned that surrounding markup is important for asian
languages.
Is this the case? I'm no expert in rendering or asian scripts, so I
wouldn't really know. Am I the only one feeling strongly about the
claimed (mis)use of surrounding markup in translateable messages?
The problem with CJK character rendering should not be solved by the application programmers or translators. Even Pango has nothing to do with it. The problem should be solved by X libs, especially fontconfig and freetype.

So, there is no relationship between including markup in msgids and messy CJK characters. Personally, I would prefer the markups be removed from msgids, from the view of Chinese translator.